Monday, December 18, 2017

Snow Globes—Pretty or Pretty Dangerous

I was going to use a snow globe as my art piece the other day but realized it would serve a better purpose having a post of it's own. There's no denying snow globes can be gorgeous; in fact, they're used all year around as tourist souvenirs. Then there's the down side especially if you have a furry family member.

Snow Globes—Pretty or Pretty Dangerous

Pop used to collect snow globes. TW gave him a small one every year as a pre-Christmas gift. He had snow globes that played music and animated snow globes. Now you won't find a snow globe among our Christmas decorations. Why? His love for me is greater than his love of those globular ornaments.

Snow Globes—Pretty or Pretty Dangerous
Spoiler alert! Snow globes may look like they're only filled with water but they often contain ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) to prevent freezing during shipping. Most of these guys come all the way from China. Cats are curious creatures. They may be attracted to the movement of the falling snow and may jump up to explore your decoration. Occasionally a paw will slip and the globe will fall to the floor and shatter exposing a sweet smell that will entice your cat. One little lick can be enough to cause damage.

What does anti-freeze poisoning do to a cat? It destroys our kidneys. Early symptoms include the appearance of walking drunk, drooling, vomiting, seizures as well as excessive thirst and urination. Within 24 hours there will be severe kidney failure, secondary to calcium crystals forming in the kidneys with such symptoms as severe lethargy, coma, depression, vomiting and seizures. Time is of the essence as a cat (or dog) who ingests anti-freeze can develop stage three anti-freeze poisoning and die within 24 hours.

I first became aware of the dangers of cats and snow globes when I read a post from Floppycats.com several years ago. It told the story of a kitty named Charlie. Some of you may have read the story already.

Sure snow globes are pretty to look at but are they really worth the risk of the damage they can cause to your cat or dog?

Snow Globes—Pretty or Pretty Dangerous

DISCLAIMER: Content provided by Stunning Keisha is designed for educational, informational and entertainment purposes. The information provided herein is not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent a disease or condition in your cat. It should not be used as an alternative to seeking veterinary advice. I'm only a cat.

18 comments:

  1. My human has a couple of small snowglobe ornaments, but other than that she will never have show globes in her home. Yes, she read about Charlie, and it has stuck with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    I have witnessed this directly - timely reminder! YAM xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such good information! Living as close as we do to The Mouse, snowglobes are everywhere. We two small snowglobes from the manpeep's time working there on the one cat-inaccessible shelf in the house, and the humans are always watching to be sure none of us have figured out how to access that shelf, because there are that's where they display the only really fragile stuff in the house. We'll share this to be sure everyone knows, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, mom is not big on snow globes either. We never really thought about the dangers they pose to cats if broken. Thank you for sharing this life saving information. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always good to be forewarned and to take appropriate precautions. Thank you for the information! CK is a smart cat as well as beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have any snow globes around here. After reading this, good thing we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an excellent warning. I have 3, but they are all in the dining room which is the only off limits area to the cats because of plants and breakables. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like the one snow globe we have will be history CK. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great information ! We don't have any snow globes are, and we won't have any. Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so scary, and my heart breaks for any kitty that's been harmed. Pop is a good man!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous post. I just saw Charlie's story show up on my FB feed this past week. I only have one special snow globe out, and it's way up high on a shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We don’t have snow globes here and there won’t be after reading this. Thank you for a very important information! I had no idea it could be so dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never knew that about snow globes. I don't have any and won't be getting any.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your kind words about Maddie. Yes, they are all much too young to run to the Bridge, but they keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely not worth the risk. I just read that another source of anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) poisoning occurs in winter cabins when people put anti-freeze in their toilets to prevent them from freezing while they're away. Then dogs drink the water from the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very good info about snow globes! I didn't know that's what they're made with!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting. I had no idea it wasn't just distilled water inside the globes! I haven't gotten one in years - and my old ones are mostly dried up. Thank you so much for sharing this CK ... I really had no idea of the dangers! That's not really an excuse - but I do learn (I used to love scented candles ... no more ... and now this).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really important information.
    Thanks.
    Have a happy holiday season...

    Noodle and crew

    ReplyDelete

Holla! Louder … I can’t hear you.

By leaving a comment you are consenting to your email being collected for communication purposes only.